MU Picked · For Organized Plane Travel With Kids
Travel with kids gets a bad rep but I'm convinced it can still be enjoyable especially in that first year when they're immobile and happy to hang or sleep on you. But even after, despite the occasional mad sprint down the aisle to catch your runaway kid tapping the arms of sleeping strangers or a couple early mornings on a new time zone, exploring a new place with your family can still be energizing. I generally think preparedness and overthinking the details before can set you up for more relaxed flights so I worked with Natalie from King Kidlet, our parenting gear pundit, to pull together a master list for all of us preparing for holiday travel with the family. You can shop our picks below or browse more of our favorite things in M.U.Picked.
1. Boba Air Carrier When traveling with kids, especially if you're doing it solo, you often need a carrier but it can be cumbersome to take along your bulky structured one. This carrier is feather light and folds into a zippered pouch for convenient storage in your carryon or under the seat in your car.
2. Baby Jogger City Tour This budget-friendly stroller has an ultra-compact fold and only weighs 14 lbs. And yes, it fits in the overhead compartment on an airplane saving you some precious time on the other side of the flight. Neha and I have the Baby Zen YOYO which is equally small and airplane friendly but a bit pricier.
3. Birdling Weekender Bag Neha swears by this for long-haul flights when you need a bit more space than the standard diaper bag for toys and snacks. It comes in a soft fabric that lets you sneak it under the seat for easy access but has lots of room and compartments to organize all the little things.
4. Twelvelittle Fanny Packs Anything that allows you to be hands-free is key when traveling with kids, right? Apparently, Fanny Packs are back and this one is stylish and made with materials that are safe for any loose baby bits like pacifiers or such. It's roomy enough for all your travel essentials.
5. Babyganics Sanitizing Wipes Airplanes during flu season can be a powerful combination for babies and children. We like to wipe the seats and trays down with these sweet smelling, all natural and compact to carry wipes just for peace of mind.
6. Puro Limited Volume Kids Headphones Once you run out of treats and toys and abandon the screen time limits for the sake of your sanity on flights, these will keep your toddlers' and kids' ears safe when they're plugged into their iPads. These are continuously rated among the best in comfort, quality, and safety - with careful attention to volume settings.
7. Marpac Hushh Portable White Noise Machine If you're trying to bank on a nap at the gate or during a layover or even on the flight, having a reliable and portable white noise machine can make all the difference when you and your little one are trying to catch some shut-eye.
8. Replay Snack Stack You can never have too many snacks on hand while traveling. This container allows you to pack a variety of snacks while keeping them contained and organized.
9. Skip Hop Baby Signature Pronto Changing Mat The last thing you want when you're dealing with diaper changes mid-flight is to fuss getting things organized to make your way up to the lavatory or worse, forget the wipes and have to make the trip back to your seat. This clutch is roomy enough to have plenty of wipes, creams, and diapers and lets you easily grab and go. The changing pad is also extra large and soft so your kid can be more comfortable on the airplane changing table.
Do you have travel plans coming up? What would you add to this list? We'd love to hear your ideas in the comments! xo