5 Mothers On Their Local Family Friendly Go-To Spots
One of the things I’ve most appreciated in this era of parenting we live in is how blended our lifestyle can be as grown-ups and family. Whether it’s resorts that greet our kids with toys or restaurants with room for strollers and play, I think our generation has a unique opportunity to stay connected to ourselves through an increasing number of spaces that we can enjoy alongside our kids. We’re always looking for more of these, in and outside of New York, so I asked five mothers who I love for their energy and enthusiasm to share their go-to weekend plans with their little broods.
Svenja, mother to two, New York, NY
We love to go out for breakfast on the weekend! Maison Kayser is one of our easy go to spots (located at broadway and 21 st) and we recently fell in love with the new bakery Ole&Steen (at broadway and 18th st). Kids get a tea bun for free!
I’m always keeping my eyes open for fun pop up museums like the Color Factory, Mickey exhibition, etc. In general, we enjoy museums and try to take the girls as often as possible to see art. We love central park zoo!
The key - always always always snacks just in case somebody gets hangry... sometimes we take an Uber to make it special (and convenient... ha!).
Mimi, mother to two, San Francisco, CA
We frequent Stonemill Matcha for the best Japanese matcha lattes, lunch, and dessert to finish it off. It's the one crowded place I'll fuss with even when I have the little ones with me because it reminds me of Japan (a l’il mind escape from SF) and my toddler enjoys the environment and food! You gotta have your go-to spots with the kids!
Patrice, mother to two, Brooklyn, NY
We love Smith Street bagels - it’s a local bodega....sadly my kids go for the rainbow bagels...but it has amazing staff and it’s a local watering hole.
We spend a lot of time at Pier 6 Brooklyn Bridge park. You can play soccer, splash in a water park, go to slide mountain, play beach volleyball, drink wine and eat pizza all while overlooking the Manhattan Skyline and the Statue of Liberty. Do not ever go to the splash park when it's really nice out on a Saturday between 10AM and 1PM. Masochistic.
Pig beach. The most perfect place ever ever designed. It’s a huge outdoor/indoor BBQ place. There’s corn-hole, space for kids to run like maniacs, great music, food, drinks... You WILL naturally be kicked out around 7:30PM on a weekend when the cool crowd (read skinny young people with no kids) comes in. Definite changing of the guard.
Janna, mother to one, Miami, FL
1. Restaurant: Glass & Vine in Coconut Grove has a big outdoor terrace with a playground right next to it - perfect for the littles to play while the parents have a mimosa! (Insta: @glassandvine)
2. Café: Threefold Café in Coral Gables. Cute Australian coffee shop with delicious lattes and good food AND a kids corner with books and toys!
3. Beach: Matheson Hammock Park in South Miami. It has a little shallow lagoon for the kids to be shielded from the waves, as well as lots of palm trees for shade and for hanging up your own hammock.
4. Museum: Frost Science is one of our favorites. We love the aquarium and the light up floor as well as the outdoor learn and play area on the top floor.
5. Sightseeing Outings: Design District! So many cool photo ops for the whole fam, plus the swings right in front of St Roch Market (a great food market) are so much fun for kids and adults alike. Bonus: delicious ice cream (with free glitter!) at MadLab Creamery.
6. Playgrounds / splash pads: our favorite is on the southern tip of south beach. You can watch boats go by and cool off in the splash pad and the whole thing is shaded under big canopies!
Taylor, mother to two, Avon, CT
We live in a fairly large suburban town but 20 min in any direction leads us to rural Connecticut - home of endless farm lands and local treats.
Our most favorite experiences include anything that has an outdoor element combined with yummy fresh food - exploring new playgrounds, hiking through reservoirs, or simply scooting to town for breakfast at our local bakery, Hartford baking company.
We love visiting local farms to pick fresh produce and visit animals. Arethusa farm in Litchfield, CT is an absolute favorite of ours! The best cheeses, ice creams, fresh veggies and the most delicious donuts! And when weather doesn’t permit we travel to various museums, science centers, aquariums (mystic aquarium is so fun!) and indoor play areas such as Mimmo play cafe in Avon, CT which has a Reggio Amelia inspired play area.
The key for us with a 4 and newly 2 year old is to get out, explore and find some yummy treats along the way!
Hannah, mother to one, Los Angeles, CA
We love to go to the Getty with the family. It opens at 10 am and we like to get there early to avoid the lines. On a clear day, the views are spectacular. It’s so fun to walk around the parks and see some art and grab lunch as a family.
We love going to the zoo and enjoying the animals with our daughter. There is a carousel there, which she absolutely loves.
Other favorites include the Long Beach Aquarium or driving up to Malibu for brunch on the Pier. If we're feeling adventurous, we always love Disneyland!
Can you add your local go-to spots for your family? Would love to know! xo